Report a Problem


How to Report an Issue

smiling woman with mobile phone

There are several ways to report non-emergency issues.  The most immediate method is to call our main line: (951) 685-7434.

After regular business hours, you may also call the main line to report emergencies that affect water and wastewater.

For public safety emergencies, dial 9-1-1.

Report Street Lighting Issues

To report a street light outage/problem in Jurupa Valley, please notify us online or call 1(800) 229-6090.

Report Graffiti

To report graffiti, please notify us online or call the Graffiti Hotline at (951) 727-3500.

My JCSD: Use your Smartphone to Submit Non-Emergency Issues

JCSD is excited to launch My JCSD, a new mobile citizen engagement application powered by GOGov. This application empowers you to report issues in the community through an easy to use mobile application.

Residents will be able to submit service requests on the fly from their smartphones or on this webpage and access important information regarding JCSD events, alerts, and more. If a questions arises, JCSD staff will be able to have direct communication with residents to resolve issues together.

My JCSD will feature access to the following resources:

  • Submit Requests/Concerns with easy access "Start Request Button"
  • Provide multiple photos when submitting a request
  • Track requests and send message to JCSD staff regarding the status of a request

Reportable issues include Graffiti, Waste Water, Park Maintenance of JCSD Parks in Eastvale, and more!

*If you are reporting issues relating to the City of Jurupa Valley, or City of Eastvale's municipal code violations, potholes, illegal dumping, street/sign maintenance issues, and other non-emergency issues, please see Jurupa Valley and Eastvale's websites for more information.

 My JCSD for iPhone Users

For iPhone devices, go to the Apple App Store and search for My JCSD.

 My JCSD for Android Users

For Android devices, go to Google Play and search for My JCSD.

PLEASE NOTE: Although the instructions below state that uploading a photo is optional, without a photo we may not be able to resolve an issue.  For WATER-WASTE issues, a photo or video documentation of the WATER-WASTE activity taking place is required in order for JCSD to resolve the issue.

Tips for effective photos:

  • Be sure the photo is in focus

  • The actual issue should be depicted in the photo

  • Include other distinguishing landmarks in the photo such as the house where the issue is taking place or the vehicle in the driveway. A close up of a sprinkler or a close up of a sidewalk with water does not help identify the actual location of where the issue is taking place and will not enable JCSD to follow up and resolve the issue.